How To Work with Your Laptop
A laptop has many advantages, particularly in terms of mobility. On the other hand, it is unsuitable for prolonged work because of the postural constraints involved: flexion of the neck, abduction of the shoulders, mechanical pressure, etc.
Tip #1 – Use auxiliary equipment! There are 2 options available to you when using an auxiliary keyboard and mouse:
- A stand to raise your laptop
- An external screen to optimize the display of information.
These strategies will allow you to keep your head straight and minimize prolonged neck flexion.
Tip #2 – Use your headphones!
If you don’t have access to this equipment, no problem, here are 3 alternatives:
- Push back the computer to fully support your forearms on the table and reduce neck flexion
- Use the 20-20-20 rule to reduce eye strain and muscle fatigue – Every 20 minutes, – Look at an object at a distance of 20 feet (about 6 meters) – For 20 seconds
- Take regular micro breaks and stretch (stretches below)
How To Set Up and Adjust Your Workstation
In telework, it can be tempting to settle down on your favorite couch. But you will quickly realize that this option, which may be comfortable at first, is anything but “ergonomic”.
“I have a work desk and an adjustable chair.”
Tip #3 – Adjust your position based on the guidelines below.
“I don’t have a work desk or an adjustable chair ”
Choose a flat and solid surface that allows you to place your computer directly in front of you with your documents nearby. The kitchen table is usually the best option. If you have to work on a kitchen chair, use:
Where To Work at Home
One of the keys to making telework fun and productive is to separate personal and professional life. The border between these two universes remains a challenge for many. Here are a few tips: Install your equipment in a closed room or an isolated place in the house. If this is not possible, here are 2 alternatives:
- Plan a schedule with other family members.
- Plan quiet times, suitable for videoconference calls or tasks requiring concentration.
Don’t hesitate to be creative while respecting the basic principles in office ergonomics and better postures.
Tips & Tricks to be More Ergonomic
Working from home is an advantageous way of working for many, but certain aspects, including ergonomics, are to be taken seriously in order to ensure your comfort and efficiency. Be sure to follow these practical tips.
*PRACTICAL GUIDE Ergonomics and temporary work from home 2020 www.entrac.ca